This covenant of prayer is built on four Biblical principles:
- 1 John 5:14-15: We will pray in accordance with God’s will
- Matthew 18:19: We will pray in agreement with one another
- Mark 11:24: We will pray in undoubting faith
- John 16:23-24: We will pray in the authoritative Name of Jesus
- We will pray regularly for each church and each pastor and family, seeking God’s blessing and favor for our Green Mountain Association Family. We will “devote ourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving…” (Colossians 4:2)
- We will pray for sufficient leadership and resources to be raised up in our churches and beyond to fulfill the mission God has given us here in Vermont. We will pray to the “Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest” (Matthew 9:37).
- We will pray for spiritual discernment as we look to see where God will lead us to plant new churches or revive dead churches in our state. We will pray with the attitude of Jesus who said, “Let us go somewhere else to the towns nearby, in order that I may preach there also; for that is what I came out for” (Mark 1:38), and who said, “I will build my church…” (Matthew 16:18)
- We will pray for spiritual awakening in our churches and for ourselves. We will pray with Habakkuk, “O Lord, revive Thy work in the midst of the years…in wrath remember mercy.” (Habakkuk 3:2) and with the Psalmist, “Wilt Thou not Thyself revive us again, that Thy people may rejoice in Thee?” (Psalm 85:6)
- We will pray for spiritual health for our churches and for ourselves. We will pray to the head of the church, Jesus Christ, who said, “I will build my church…” (Matthew 16:18). We will pray that the Holy Spirit will “add to our numbers those who are being saved” (Acts 2:47), and that we will “devote ourselves to… “teaching [of the word], and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” (Acts 2:42)
- We will pray for the restraint and defeat of Satan. We will “resist Him, firm in our faith.” (1 Peter 5:9) We will “submit to God.” We will “resist the devil and he will flee from us.” (James 4:7) We will “put on the full armor of God that [we] may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” Ephesians 6:11)
- We will pray for God’s blessings on Vermont. We will pray for Governor Dean, for Senator Lahey and Senator Jeffords and for Rep. Sanders. We will pray for state legislators and for the local leadership of each town and village, that God would give them wisdom and vision to administer wisely. We will pray for “all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.” (1 Tim. 2:2)
Please contact Terry Dorsett, associational missionary if you have just made this covenant of prayer.